December is a great time to go to the Caribbean! Here’s why….
You might be wondering if it’s a good idea to use your December vacation time to travel to the Caribbean. Is this tropical region too crowded with tourists during the winter months? What will the weather be like?
The good news is that December is an excellent time to visit the Caribbean, weather-wise. Temperatures are slightly cooler than in the summer months. In addition, December isn’t part of the rainy season. That means it’s not within the Atlantic hurricane season either!
However, since the weather is drier and less humid, you may find that plenty of other tourists want to travel to the Caribbean, just like you do. Therefore, December could be considered part of the tourist “high-season” in the Caribbean.
Pros of traveling to the Caribbean in December
Despite the fact that it’s within the tourist high season, there are plenty of good reasons to travel to the Caribbean in December. Here are a few of them:
- You can attend holiday events. During the month of December, you can participate in many events and festivals. There are Christmas events, New Year’s festivals, special concerts, Boxing Day events, and more during the last month of the year. For more information, check out these articles:
Caribbean Christmas Traditions
Caribbean Events from September to December
The Best Caribbean Islands to Spend New Year’s Eve
- You can escape cold weather! If you live somewhere where the weather is bitterly cold during December, head to the Caribbean! Trade those dark winter days for an extra dose of vitamin D on a Caribbean beach.
- It’s one of the best months to visit the Caribbean. In general, December to April is considered the best time to visit the Caribbean. This is because the weather is drier and temperatures will hover around the 80’s (F). You’ll never be too hot, or too cold, and you’ll rarely ever be caught in a rainshower.
Cons of traveling to the Caribbean in December
There are a few reasons why you might not want to travel to the Caribbean in December. However, they may not be reason enough to cancel your plans.
- Airfare may be more costly. Depending on from where you fly, airfare to the Caribbean may be more costly during December. If you are looking to save some money on flights, the best time to fly is during the tourist low season, from late August to November.
- Hotels and resorts may cost more. Since plenty of tourists make holiday plans in the Caribbean, prices tend to go up. However, renting your own private villa can be a much more economical option. Prices for vacation villas do not tend to vary much by month.
- Some beaches/landmarks/excursions may be crowded. The most popular beaches, landmarks, and museums will no doubt see a larger influx of visitors during December. Keep this in mind and book your activities and excursions in advance.
Keep in mind that the “cons” listed above may not be case if you travel to a less popular Caribbean vacation destination. Read more about the “less-traveled” Caribbean islands here!
Main image: iStock
You might also like
More from Travel
Top 10 Best Caribbean Islands That Offer The Best Vacation Rentals
Image Source: FreeImages The Caribbean is home to some of the most beautiful islands, beaches, and resorts in the world. Many …
AIR CANADA ANNOUNCES NONSTOP FLIGHTS TO CURACAO
CURACAO INVITES CANADIAN VISITORS TO BOOK THE NEW AIR CANADA NONSTOP FLIGHTS The Curaçao Tourist Board just announced that Air Canada will …
8 Most Charming Historic Cities in the Caribbean
Visit these historic cities in the Caribbean for a rewarding, educative experience you'll never forget! Nothing is more romantic than a …
Leave a Reply