Major airline American Airlines has announced that it will be adding new flights to the Caribbean starting December 18th, 2019–just in time for the holidays.
Heading to the Caribbean for the holidays? Thanks to new flights set to start on December 18th, it might be even easier for you to get to your chosen destination.
One of the world’s largest airlines, American Airlines, currently runs 108 daily flights to 38 destinations in the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Bermuda. Travelers can fly direct from an fly direct from seven American Airlines hubs and two regional airports. The company recently announced an important expansion that will include several new routes and more frequent flights for others.
Here’s what the expansion includes:
- New flights from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport to Guyana, beginning December 18th.
- More daily flights from Dallas to San Jose, Costa Rica. (Beginning Dec. 18th)
- A new Saturday-only route to the US Virgin Islands. There will be one flight from Dallas to St. Thomas, and another from Chicago to St. Thomas. This is especially significant, since in the past, visitors have had to travel to San Juan first in order to reach St. Thomas. These flights will begin December 21st.
- New Saturday flights from Chicago to St. Lucia. These flights will be seasonal only.
- New Saturday route year-round from La Guardia airport in New York to Bermuda.
- New Saturday flight year-round from Charlotte, North Carolina to Grenada.
Tips for traveling in the Caribbean
Since most Caribbean nations are islands, you’ll most likely have to fly to your chosen vacation destination. Here are a few of our favorite tips for Caribbean travel:
- Looking for deals? Skip the tourist high season (December to July) and go while prices are low (August to November). However, take note that these months correspond to the rainy season. In addition, August and September are the months when hurricanes and tropical storms love to pay a visit to the region.
- You may not be able to find direct flights to the island you wish to visit. However, that shouldn’t be a reason to cancel your plans! Sometimes, all it will take to reach your final destination is a half-hour ferry boat ride from one island to the next.
- “Island hopping” is a great way to tour several islands in the Caribbean during one trip. Read all about it here.
- When searching for the perfect Caribbean island for your vacation, don’t overlook these underrated islands! You may not have heard of some of them, but we guarantee you’ll love the fact that they are less “commercialized” and developed. In addition, you’re much more likely to have the beach all to yourself if you travel to say, St. Barth, than the Dominican Republic.
- Don’t limit yourself to big-name resorts or run-of-the-mill hotels. Check out some incredible private vacation villas here, and enjoy every aspect of your vacation from start to finish.
Main image: American Airlines
More from Travel
Visitors Receive the Royal Treatment Upon Arrival Anguilla's tourist board has teamed up with local stakeholders from every sector of the …
All-inclusive Sandals Royal Curaçao Is Open on the South Coast of the island Sandals Royal Curaçao, which opened in March 2018 …
Tourism is on a Roll in the Turks and Caicos Islands The tourism sector is once again breaking visitor arrival records …