All about the Bahamas
Long nights, vivid dreams of the stellar beaches, attractions, and activities to get lost in when you visit the Bahamas is perfectly reasonable. When you are planning a vacation to the Bahamas islands, not even your wildest dreams can match the actual beauty on the ground.
The Bahamas is a pristine inclusive island that covers 700 islands and over 2000 Cays that are all over the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. The Bahamas is one of the places that the rich escape to for distinct vacation activities. You know the Bahamas is your perfect destination because it has already established itself as such. It all began as a pirate haven before it developed into the tourist paradise it is today.
The islands bustle with activity all year round as travel is a dominant industry in the region. The islands have developed around tourism and continue to grow and encompass more touristic activities. The Bahamas is the hub of many attractions that you only dream of until you visit and experience them first hand.
Some of the islands and cays in the Bahamas are uninhabited which makes them the perfect locations for people seeking seclusion and a quiet time. Other parts of the islands are packed full of resorts, beachfront homes, and clubs that facilitate the main trade in the island, Bahamas tourism.
If you have not planned a trip to the Bahamas yet, you need to experience this paradise haven. It will set your vacation destination bar so high that no other place will be able to match it. Must visit sites in the Bahamas are:
Nassau is the capital of the Bahamas. It is in New Providence and is the leading center of Bahamas tourism. Nassau Bahamas is the place to begin and end your trip to the Bahamas. If it is your first time visiting the Bahamas, Nassau is the place to find the best in entertainment, restaurants, attractions and even shopping.
Exploring Nassau Bahamas can take up your entire vacation period due to how wholesome, magnificent and extensive it is. Most tourists dock in Nassau and work their way around the paradise Bahamas from there.
Nassau Bahamas is the most remarkable city due to its ability to charm and captivate crowds of people and keep them glued to the beauty of the town. Even with massive tourist populations in the city at any given time, the city never loses its charm and hold on the visitors. There is plenty for everyone to see, try, explore and experience.
While in Nassau Bahamas, some of the best places to get lost in include:
• Cable beach that features white sands, beautiful views looking out on the allure of the azure waters. Sunny weather that enables you to perfect your tan and dip in the warm waters.
• Bay Street is the bustling shopping area in Nassau. It is the perfect area to find souvenirs to take home, indulge in fabulous experiences like exploring the museums, colonial buildings that feature candy colors and the vast number of restaurants on the length of the street.
• Nassau straw market is another one of the best places to indulge and splurge on shopping. Spoil yourself and take home antiques to remember the Bahamas.
• Blue Lagoon Island, pure heaven for all animal lovers. Swim with dolphins at the lagoon and enjoy the scenic views to and from the island.
• Paradise Island, home to the Atlantis resort whose name is recognized far and wide.
• The Ardastra Gardens, Zoo, and conservation center is another famous spot in Nassau Bahamas as it houses endangered species and features tropical gardens.
Bimini is among tourists’ favorite places in the Bahamas. The island is just 50 miles from the US which makes it a popular destination for people from the US. Bimini encompasses the North Bimini Island, South Bimini Island, and many cays.
Bimini is a primary spot for creativity as it features many types of art. Once you arrive, you will get to appreciate the people’s creativity. It is also a historical island that has a vibrant history. The Bimini road is believed to be part of the lost city, Atlantis.
The islands began developing as the centers for speakeasies and rum community during the prohibition. It was the perfect location since it is offshore. Bimini has served many people in different ways over time. Ernest Hemingway considered the island his home; Martin Luther King Jr composed part of his noble peace prize acceptance on the island. Some of the places to visit while in Bimini include:
• The healing hole. It is an area that many people consider magical since the waters are believed to have healing properties. The pond’s access is by boat which makes the trip an experience on its own.
• Bimini nature trail will grant you front row seats to the endemic plants and animals of the island. The Bimini Boa is an essential part of the island, when there, a guide can help you understand why the endangered snake is so imperative.
• Fishing in Bimini. It is one of the most exciting activities on the island. It is the big game fishing of Bimini. Deep sea fishing, shark and dolphin dives feature in the experience.
• Alluring beaches. The island of Bimini features breathtaking beaches that offer warm, engulfing waters, sandy beaches, and lounge areas to enjoy the views as you sip on cocktails.
Beaches in the Bahamas
The Bahamas features many jaw-dropping perennial beaches. The magnificence of the island’s beaches makes it so hard to choose the best Bahamas beach. Any of the many Bahamas beaches will give you an experience worth writing home about. They include:
• Cable beach
It is a very famous beach in the Bahamas since it sits in the capital Nassau. Many people frequent the area and enjoy the beautiful views, warm waters and white sandy beaches that complete the ultimate beach experience. Sipping on cocktails and watching the sunset on cable beach is a mind-blowing experience.
• Harbor Island
Harbor island features some of the best Bahamian beaches that will without a doubt exceed your imagination. The charming and relaxing feel of pink sand against your feet as you get lost in the beautiful turquoise waters is unlike any experience you have had before.
• Treasure Cay Beach
Treasure Cay beach is considered top of the list when it comes to the most beautiful beaches in the world. It is no surprise it is a Bahamas beach because the island features the best of everything. Soft sand grains against your body followed by a dip in the warm aqua waters is sure to relax your body, mind, and soul. The shores of the beach are crescent-shaped, and the glowing sun rays descend on the beach completing its magical touch.
• Long Island
Long Island is one of the most fascinating, utterly magnificent islands in the Bahamas. It features some of the best beaches in the Bahamas that attract visitors from far and wide. The beaches in long island feature pink and white sands, pristine waters and captivating views.
• Green turtle cay
The beaches on green turtle cay have beautiful reefs carvings which make them unique and exceptional. The beaches have clean crystal clear waters that stop short of hypnotizing you into swimming in them.
Popular activities in the Bahamas
From the minute you land to the moment you leave, you will engage in many different activities in the islands. If you are not one to sit on the beaches all day every day, get to know more about the islands and experience some of the adrenaline pumping activities that the island offers like:
Snorkeling in the Bahamas is very prevalent. It takes center stage in many parts of the islands and is a fantastic way to get your adrenaline running. Some of the best snorkeling sites in the Bahamas islands are:
• Grand Bahama Island snorkeling
The island features some of the most exquisite resorts that will enable you to experience the beauty of snorkeling. Reef tours in the Grand Bahama Island offer the best water experiences and not just snorkeling. Bens cave, gold rock and silverpoint reef are some of the most frequented areas by snorkelers as they feature clear waters and amazing marine life.
• New Providence snorkeling
Exploring the waters of new providence and paradise islands is heaven for many snorkelers. The rose island reefs, booby rock channel, Goulding reef cays are the most famous spots in the islands. Gambier deep reef is also a favorite exploration spot for snorkelers. Most resorts in the area offer snorkeling gear.
• Bimini snorkeling
Black coral gardens and colorful marine life in the island scream perfect snorkeling locations. When the weather allows it, snorkelers can engage dolphins and enjoy the magnificence of the experience.
• Elbow Cay snorkeling
130 miles of beautiful cays and beaches that grace the Bahamas, Elbow Cay, is the ideal area for snorkeling. Visibility is excellent in the area because the cays are next to the Gulf Stream cleansing waters. Froggies out island adventures are the leading equipment provider in the region.
• Exumas, stocking island
It is famous for its crystal clear waters which are perfect for snorkeling. The blue holes in the area are ideal for exploration by most snorkelers. Underwater caves and coral gardens also make it the perfect snorkeling destination.
• San Salvador snorkeling
Snorkelers’ paradise in the southern Bahamas. The area is not very populated, it is still being discovered, and the isolated beaches with clear waters are ideal for swimming and snorkeling. The bamboo point, long bay, sandy point, Fernandez bay and grotto bay are favorite spots in the area.
Diving is an enthralling sport that gets your adrenaline running and gives you a rare opportunity to explore and frolic under water. In the Bahamas, many diving spots attract visitors looking for the diving thrill. Some of the best areas to dive in the Bahamas include Eleuthera and the Exuma cays which have ideal diving conditions. Diving in Bimini is also very suitable since there is a significant pelagic species population on the island.
The best time for diving in the Bahamas is during the vacationing weather months. The Bahamas experience a hurricane season despite all year long perfect vacation weather. Diving is discouraged during the hurricane season which falls between June and November.
There are conditions for diving to ensure the safety of divers. In the Bahamas, these terms are:
- Visibility of the water. If the water is not clear, diving is discouraged. Most of the areas around main islands do not offer great dive spots, but further in, there are excellent sites. Visibility of 100 feet is acceptable. 150 feet and over is mainly evident in areas near the deep waters.
- Water temperature is another diving condition. 22 degrees Celsius is the coldest water temperature in the area experienced in January and February. During these months, using a 3-5mm dive suit is advised. Water temperatures rise to 28degrees Celsius during summer.
Kitesurfing in the Bahamas is a pure uninterrupted joy. The warm clear waters make the island ideal for kitesurfing. Some of the Bahamas islands that have the best kitesurfing spots are Nassau, Eleuthera, Harbor islands and the Spanish wells. Nassau features fantastic shipwrecks to dive around or kite surf over.
The best winds for kitesurfing hit the islands in October to march. The winds are excellent during winter but not very glorious in the summer. Some of the best kitesurfing sites include:
- South beach where blue hill, a shallow lagoon is. There is a mile extent of shallow waters that make for a perfect spot.
- Coral harbor will let you launch yourself from the beach
- Goodman’s bay is not a very big site, but it still offers the kite thrill you are after. When there are many kite surfers in the area, be careful not to ram into them.
- Cable Bay has outside waves and a fantastic spot for so many activities. Partying all night and kite surfing during the day is what cable bay presents.
Out of all the attractions that the Bahamas has to offer, it wouldn’t all be possible, successful and popular if the area did not have great weather. Weather conditions are ideal for vacationing in the region. The trade winds grace the area with warm weather all year long.
The hurricane season in the Bahamas is in June to November. Bad weather in the Bahamas is not a very frequently used term even during the hurricane season. When hurricanes do strike the areas, warnings are issued in advance to help visitors leave or better prepare to weather the storm.
The Bahamas also experiences rains to cool off the year-long warmth. Showers in the regions are experienced from time to time in the year. May and June experience most rainfall in the area.
The Bahamas flag
The flag of the Bahamas is the unifying factor for all the Bahamas islands and cays. The flag shows off the pride, nationality, beauty, and togetherness of Bahamians. The flag has a unique design and colors that hold great meaning to the region.
The first feature of the flag is the black triangle at the hoist. The black color alludes to the strength, force, and vigor of the people and the triangle is their determination and active participation in utilizing the natural resources to enrich their home.
The flag also features three horizontal rectangles in different colors. The top and bottom most bands are aquamarine which symbolizes the surrounding waters that greatly benefit the islands. The strip in the middle is yellow that represents the sun shining down on the isle facilitating growth and continuity.
The Bahamas flag design is from various plans submitted during the national contest for a new flag design after the region gained its independence.
You might also like
More from Travel
Top 10 Best Caribbean Islands That Offer The Best Vacation Rentals
Image Source: FreeImages The Caribbean is home to some of the most beautiful islands, beaches, and resorts in the world. Many …
AIR CANADA ANNOUNCES NONSTOP FLIGHTS TO CURACAO
CURACAO INVITES CANADIAN VISITORS TO BOOK THE NEW AIR CANADA NONSTOP FLIGHTS The Curaçao Tourist Board just announced that Air Canada will …
8 Most Charming Historic Cities in the Caribbean
Visit these historic cities in the Caribbean for a rewarding, educative experience you'll never forget! Nothing is more romantic than a …
[…] this actress was born in Miami, she was brought up in the Bahamas, and her father was Bahamian. She is most known for her role in the television series Girlfriends, […]