Nestled on the western side of the Caribbean island of Curacao, Knip Beach enchants every traveler that sets foot on its sugary white sands. Nominated several times by different publications as one of the best beaches in the world, this tiny paradise features the kind of clear azure water that some have called “the bluest water in the world”.
Whether you’re in search of a romantic honeymoon spot, or simply a nice beach to spend the afternoon, Knip Beach should be your number one pick in Curacao. Also known as Kenepa Beach, it’s a favorite among locals in the area– and trust us, they know their island.
Surrounded by majestic rocky hillsides, this beach looks almost too picture-perfect to be real. There’s a spot high on the hills overlooking the sandy shores that’s perfect for photos, and occasionally you’ll see swimmers dive off the nearby rocks into the waters below. However, despite its popularity with locals and tourists alike, Knip Beach only gets crowded during the tourist high season (winter) and occasionally on Sundays. .
Getting to Knip Beach
Getting to Knip Beach, also known as Kleine Knip, isn’t difficult. It’s located between the towns of Westpunt and Lagun, and is a little under an hour’s drive from Willemstad. Parking is available, although it is limited, and admission is free.
If you have time, you may want to stop at the nearby Tula Museum, a history museum in Lagun. It contains artifacts from colonial life in Curacao, and information about the Tula slave uprising, which began there in 1795.
Click here to see an aerial view of Knip Beach.
Know before you go
Here are some helpful tips to know before you visit Knip Beach:
- In order to preserve the beach’s natural beauty, there is limited infrastructure nearby. A few snack shacks are nearby, and chairs and umbrellas are available to rent. There are a few picnic tables as well.
- Calm, clear water makes this beach perfect for snorkeling. Colorful fish swim around the coral and rocks.
- Knip Beach is great for kids. The water is calm, and quite shallow in some places.
- This beach has a parking lot, but it is small. Come early to get a space.
- It is a public beach, so admission is free. However, the beach closes at 5 pm.
- The best way to enjoy Knip Beach is in the morning, on weekdays. Since it’s a favorite beach among both locals and tourists, it can get crowded on weekends and in the afternoon during the tourist high season.
- There are no restroom facilities available on the beach.
- Usually, there are food and drink sellers offering things like cold drinks, fried chicken, and plantain dishes in the parking lot.
- Note that much of the sand is mixed with seashells, especially once you walk into the water. Some visitors prefer to wear water shoes for this reason.
- Don’t forget your camera! This beach offers delightful scenery and unforgettable views. It is well known for the incredible hue of the water, which varies between turquoise, blue, and teal.
Main image credit: Source
You might also like
More from Experience
Burna Boy’s Love, Damini Tour on Curacao: 5 Things to Know About the Most Anticipated Concert
If you’re a Burna Boy fan, then you know how excited we are about the release of his new album, …
Top Beaches to Visit in Curacao
Heading to the beach can be quite an experience on this beautiful island. Tiny though it be, it has over …
The Hato Caves in Curaçao
If you’re a nature fanatic looking for a low-key activity with some moderate exercise level, visiting the island’s most popular …
Leave a Reply